Skip to main content

The day that you stop running is the day that you arrive


First up, DC. 

It has been a relaxing couple of weeks. Met mom in the airport and the couple of days we were in Washington DC, we were mainly playing tourists, driving and walking around and did a little pre-Christmas shopping. Went to see the White House and Capitol and walked around in the parks and historical locations. 









MEXICO!

After a couple of days in DC, we flew to Mexico! It is so beautiful. Went to Playa del Carmen. It is over-crowded with tourists but  nearby places are so beautiful. Another reason for coming here is that our family friends live in this town. So at first we stayed at a hotel and took different excursions. Near Riviera Maya, there are different nature parks. Huge, more or less natural and exciting. For example: Xcaret, Xel-ha and Xplor. Xcaret reminds a little of a zoo. But the animals, butterflies, birds.. basically all the flora and fauna is presented in as natural environment as possible. There also is a small archeological site and the old village of mayas. Also, as Mexico is known for the "cenotes" - the secret underworld of Mexico. We went to swim in the underground rivers. My favorite part was the 2 hour long performance at the end of the night, music, dancing, history and culture mixed with performance. Xel-ha is called the worlds biggest natural aquarium. Most of the park is a lagoon (not man-made but a bay in an ocean, and rivers going inland), where one can go diving or snorkeling and see the beautiful coral reef and the colorful fishes. Also can jump off the cliffs, which gives such a liberating feeling! The moment you run and jump and realize there is a pretty long way down feels amazing. Also some more water attractions, for example, could swing into the water with a rope or try to climb up the cliff, or try to cross a river on two ropes, this turned out to be pretty hilarious as me and Tony (Megan's friend – the girl we were visiting) were competing, who manages to cross it first, it ended with both of us miserably falling into the ocean.






Xplor, its the newest park here, but on the oldest ground, they think the caves there were there 65 million years ago. The coolest part of the day were definitely zip-lines. To fly above the trees was pretty damn good! Not to mention that all the parks had a lunch included. (Which most definitely served as a dinner as well, as it was unlimited buffet of Mexican cuisine, which is absolutely delicious).



As I needed my dose of culture, we one day went to Xichen-Itza, where is the archeological park and we heard all about the history of the Mayas and Aztecs and saw one of the biggest temple-pyramids. Later visited another natural lagoon and cenotes and ended the tour in Valladolid, which is a very Mexican small town, not too many tourists, went to some art galleries and parks and had another great dinner.





Christmas was calm and not christmasy at all, but the New Year was pretty cool. We went to my moms old friend Aime's house, there were many people, most of them speak solo in spanish, have had a lot of practice here, back in the States, I'm gonna take advantage of my spanish-speaking amigos and practice some more! After midnight we went out with Megan (Aime's daughter) and her friends to a sports bar and after some random people gave us tickets to a beach club, ended our night there. They don't have fireworks in Mexico. Just a bunch of firecrackers thrown around everywhere. On the 1st of january here started an electronic music festival on the beach, the whole 5th avenue (the main street for tourists) reminds more of a festival area than a town. The real Playa del Carmen is so different from the tourist area, I'm so thankful for Megan and her family for showing us that. To mix things up a little I got myself some adventures, being too confident and driving to a wrong town.. it sure was an adventure, coming back in a mini-van full of workers who just ended their evening-shift in some plantation.


Once, I helped Megan at work, she is teaching english to some kids, it was such a good day, that is something I would love to do one day for a longer period of time. I was asked if I miss home today, referring to home I right now think of the States and the people there, which does not mean I don't love Estonia, it means I'm not ready to go back just yet.

Not long ago I was terrified of flying, then, for quite some time I just didn't like it, now I am pretty much fine with it, but the planes don't seem to like me.. karma? I really could write a book about my flying adventures soon enough. Flying back to the states: we arrive to the airport in Cancun and our flight is not listed, not just on time but not on the timetable at all, there was no real information booth and the people we asked didn't know, they advised us to go to the line of united airways anyways, the line was long, in the end there were several others going to Washington and we later discovered there still is a flight, just an error in the system, it was hell of a delay. Got to the plane, another problem, the oxygen masks didn't work, we had to wait for a mechanic. Once he came he fixed the problem mostly, only two of the masks of the flight attendants did not work, so they needed to sit at the back of the plane, we were kind of in the back too, the last row where they needed to sit consisted of families with young children, so they asked us to switch places, we waited some more, finally got the permission to go, when some child needed to go to the bathroom, then one more, another after another, there went our turn to take off, when we were finally almost taking off, the flight attendant remembered there is still one kid in the restroom. She had forgotten how to unlock the door. We were sitting next to an old couple, who had an excellent sense of humor, and the situation was tragi-comical. Thank god it was a calm kid and they talked her out quickly and we were able to go! Arrived to Washington, rented a car, showing my mom a bit more of DC and then Morgantown.

MORGANTOWN with mom!

The warm feeling that comes.. like being home! Showed my mom the town that's special to me, the campus and took her to the some lovely food-places. After a couple days drove her to Washington Dulles airport by our rental car. Gave it away there, after ALMOST getting a speeding ticket and ALMOST running out of gas. Sent my mom to the plane, as her bags were too heavy, she had to repack twice! It was such a lovely holidays with mom, safe flight and see you soon!






DC adventures.

After several traffic jams made it to DC city centre, grabbed some street-food and headed to the metro when a random guy outta nowhere grabbed my hand. It was snowing, it was cold, dark, I was packed in my scarf, wearing headphones and being in my own world.. not noticing anything going on around me. He claimed someone just stole his bag and I was the only witness. He started shouting and made a scene on the street. I was exhausted and getting angry. From somewhere police came, luckily they noticed he was a little nuts and told me to go on and they would deal with him. Managed to find my way to the Greyhound station. As I had time and was bored I made a mistake of reading damnyouautocorrect.com. Started laughing alone, which attracted the attention of a creeper who started talking (flirting?) and didn't wanna leave any more. When I finally got rid of him I found watching tv-series a safer choice.

In the bus fell straight asleep, but less than an hour there was the first stop, a lot of people came in and I had to scoot over to the window seat and let a guy sit next to me. He surprised me by asking if I actually can listen music from my phone. He explained that he has spent the last 12 years in prison and just got released today. I didn't know what to say. In half an hour, there was another stop and he woke me up by bringing me coffee. After that we started talking, and he turned out to be a very interesting person. We talked about music, movies, life, politics, passions, dreams.. everything. Early in the morning in Pittsburgh went to have breakfast in the town as we had 3 hours. Coming back he asked me if I want to hear some of his stuff (He was writing music, singing and rapping, had a band once and wants to continue now and release an album). Of course I said yes, expecting he is gonna play me a tape, instead, he started singing on the crowded, busy street. Not quietly to me, but loudly, performing. It took me as a surprise. He is actually really good. As I promised to be brutally honest and gave him some feedback in my opinion, I got to hear a lot of his music later on. It was definitely one of the most unexpected bus-rides I have had!

MORGANTOWN

Finally back at Mo-town, spent the day catching up with people and as Jack is leaving the next day, we are going out to continue our fun traditions. Morgantown I have missed you!

Besides the people, the thing I have missed the most is the spontaneity of this town. The nights never go as planned, but always we end up having a good time. I'm kind of in love with I-House and the town more than ever. Long lunches, just chatting and catching up with everybody.. going out every night.. going to couple of interesting classes. Meeting new people, even discovered a new bar/club tonight. I'm so glad I decided to stay in the US and take that risk, how ever everything is gonna turn out, it is already worth it.

Another snowstorm hit us, it is cold and snowing hard, making plans to go sledging soon! It is a perfect staying in weather.. We have all just been chilling downstairs in the living room and watching series the all day. My voice is completely gone.. okay.. I can talk, barely and it sounds weird. (Except the mornings, then I can just nod, somebody already suggested giving me a note-pad so I could reply, otherwise they can put whatever words to my mouth). I've been drinking a lot of tea with honey these days, and now I'm sick of it. Made coffee with Chris for a change, didn't have instant coffee nor a coffee-maker, so we started boiling it old-school, actually came out decent.

Had a delicious late lunch/early dinner with Amir, Laura, Mercedes and Ayah in a new sushi-place Volcano. And a bit Skins' like-night after on. It was crazy fun! Can't believe Tito woke up round 7.30 saturday morning.. Watched "HIMYIM" on tv, now I really want to start watching it, even have all the seasons, all I need is time.

Round ten went to KA frat party with Krasimir, the vibe wasn't the best, met with Carmen and Emnet in I-house and decided to go to Cellar for a little. Nobody felt like it's gonna be a good night, but in the end it turned out great.. Met a lot of people who I hadn't seen in a while and time flied.. Quick "breakfast" and hookah to end the night, and somebody stole my leather jacket. It was old and not so expensive, but I need to buy a new one as it is getting colder and colder.




My last day in Mo-town Ash baked cookies and banana bread and I-House was crowded with visitors, spent the morning discussing serious topics. Decided to go to the cinema to see "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows". At first we were talking about it with Krasimir and Emnet. In the end half of the house wanted to go. Krasimir said it's no problem for him to drive twice. By the time he got back from the first round, there were some more who wanted to go, so in the end it was 6 of us in a car that barely fits 4, it really is small (a fiat, but size-wise something between a Smart and a Mini). The movie was great, I mean it was a little slow in the beginning, but once it got going.. tjaaa, the special effects were awesome, there were some moments that took u speechless and well Robert Downey Jr.. cannot not love him! After dinner it was time to say good bye for a while and Chris drove me to Pittsburgh, it took some time to figure out where the new cheap Megabus is going from and off to NYC.

Moved to NYC! 

First week of NY was insane, it definitely takes time to get used to the big city way of life. The people I'm living with are lovely, we have our differences, but it's manageable. The place we're living is not the best, but we are moving on wednesday. Our training sessions on the other hand have been awesome, also the classes taken from BDC or Peridance. And the classes I have taught in Brooklyn have been great as well. My kids are incredibly adorable and they know what they are doing. I love to be so busy again and I hame missed dancing! I feel all my muscles hurting, it has been about 5 hours of training every day. In a way it is a lot to take in, the people I am training with are really and have been a crew for several years now and I haven't been training almost at all for the past half a year, but I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity. A friend of mine had to go to Europe for a couple of months on family-business, she asked me to give her dance classes in Brooklyn and take her place at the crew she was in, I knew some others from the crew and thankfully the ones I didn't know were also on board with the idea.

Apart from dancing, Couchsurfing is awesome. Met many great people through it. Went to a photography museum with Donovan (Netherlands) on friday and at night to a concert in Greenwich Village. Jonathan Wilson was playing in Mercury lounge. Small venue but an excellent concert. His music is great as was the atmosphere. The band themselves got really drunk on the stage and smoked weed, something strong, sniffing hard enough the whole crowd could have got high.





Saturday, met up with Talha (India) and Aga (Poland) in Queens. She celebrated her name-day. Eastern-European thing. Went to her friends place in Manhattan, at first it was a house party. Polish food, wine and drinks and a lot of chill people, most of them if not all of them were couchsurfers. Before midnight headed to town and ended up in a strip club as Talha had some free vouchers.

I'm really getting attached to my kids, as are they to me, besides teaching also volunteered to spend time with them a couple of times a week to help them with homework and so. And all our trainings and dance-classes, have already learned so much new.

Met Ofer (Israel) through CS. He is a club-promoter in NYC and invited me to a rooftop party at Gansevoort Park hotel, a luxurious, hip downtown hotel. The club is on the 20th floor, can imagine the view. He put us on the guest-list, which meant free entrance and a cocktail (the regular tickets started from 50 dollars). The club was beautiful. Were at the upper lounge and had a balcony. The music was fun and the people I was with were great! Enrique (Philippines) and Daniel (Poland) totally surprised me with their dance moves. Around 3.30 we headed to our own after-party at Daniel's place with Aga, Enrique, Alejandro, Gaby (Usa) and Talha. He lives on 5th avenue, next to Rockefeller centre, on the 30th floor, which means even a more incredible view. Had some drinks and as everybody was really hungry, Enrique cooked some omelets! 5Am – perfect time for breakfast. Daniel can be really deep.. he made us all think about what is the most important. When I was finally walking home it was dawn, a bit past 7. Clear sky, sun rising behind the skyscrapers.. Made me feel so grateful of everything!

Went to see SYTYCD auditions in Brooklyn. Alicia (Usa) and Allen (Usa) from our crew competed. Alicia made it through! Congrats girl! She got us tickets to the auditions. I've been a fan of the show for years, it was amazing to see it live. Loved the simplicity and natural feeling of it. Took place at some warehouse in Brooklyn. The judges were sincere. Tyce Diorio, Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy. Their comments were wise and felt passionate. Nothing fancy, nothing fake. A show with a heart. And the talent was pretty damn good!

On wednesday it was our moving day. From Harlem to Brooklyn. Oh it was an adventure. Kyle (Usa) couldn't get off work, so he couldn't give us a ride. The boys were all away, so me, Alicia and Joanna (Norway/Usa) had to manage on our own, it's not that we have that many stuff, but we had a lot of bags, and everything that could've gone wrong, did. Somebody tried to steal my bag, Ali's suitcase broke down, we went off in a wrong stop and being all stubborn walked couple of blocks for no reason, which was a little my fault, but hey, I am not a native New Yorker here, as 2 of my companions were! In the end we made it and I guess it is just something to laugh about. The place looks good. Inside not outside, we were a little creeped at first. (Not to tell, all the doors in that neighborhood look exactly the same, that same night, or should I say morning, when I was coming home I had no idea which door was mine.. I think I tried to open a couple of them before I got to my own). It's a share-house. Besides us 8 there live 7 more people and two cats. They instantly liked me. Whenever I sit on the couch downstairs, they come and sit on my lap and be all cute! I'm sharing a room with 3 girls, and it is even smaller than our previous apartment.


That same day met with some cool couchsurfers in "Mad Hatters" sports bar at Lower East Side to watch Barcelona vs Real Madrid soccer game. Barca won, had to celebrate. Went to Astoria, Queens, to a fresh seafood market. They cook the food there. It was cheap and oh so delicioso! And it all led to some wine and watching videos at Mario's (Usa) place, where Kristin (Philippines) also joined us. After that to Williamsburg, Brooklyn (which probably is my favorite area of NYC). First to a cuban bar to try the best mojito I have ever had, then to listen to some live band and to finish the night with a falafel in a small fast food place. Muslim food which tastes great!








Thursday evening attended my first NYC Couchsurfing weekly meet-up. It is held every week in Central Bar, Lower East Side. I'm real glad I started using CS. International people from all over the world guarantees lots of fun and diversity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibiza, Spain

 June 2023 Last time we were on a work-trip to Brussels, decided to take advantage of cheap Ryanair mid-Europe flights and flew to Ibiza for a long weekend. Had been wanting to check this party-hub out for some time. It's dreamy, gorgeous, vibrant, fun and quite expensive. So, in my opinion, a long weekend is exactly a right amount of time to be spent there!

Pinkpop - Megaland, Landgraaf, NL

  June 2023 How transport failed us completely, but the festival was absolutely amazing! Flixbus 2: us 0.

USA vol 1: Chicago, Michigan City

September 2023.