Skip to main content

Oscars 2013

I'm on a mission to watch all the "best picture" nominations. Went to the movies on sunday after training with my mom and saw "Life of Pi". It managed to make us both cry and not just once. A beautiful story about faith. Great acting, great visuals and Ang Lee has created an incredible movie that leaves a lasting impression.

"Faith is a house with many rooms." 
"But no room for doubt?" 
"Oh plenty, on every floor. Doubt is useful, it keeps faith a living thing. After all, you cannot know the strength of your faith until it's tested."

"Silver linings playbook". Been wanting to see that for ages, especially as Bradley Cooper is in it, but it was a good, sweet, messed up movie. It is not typical for a romantic drama/comedy to be nominated for 8 oscars including the best picture. 

"Les Miserables". As I like musicals, I enjoyed it. It was slow but also had the intensity and heartbreaking moments. Anne Hathaway was a real standout for me and usually I'm not a fan of hers. Hugh Jackman was great, Russell Crowe on the other hand took some getting used to. I didn't like Eddie Redmayne as Marius that much, just didn't fit. Amanda Seyfried was sweet and gentle Cosette. Helena-Bonham Carter is awesome as always, and I really liked Samantha Barks as Eponine and Aaron Tveit as Enjorlas. Comparing to the book or the original movie.. it's safe, not much is changed, as it should be, you just do not change these kind of stories.

"Beasts of the Southern Wild". It's original, sincere and magical, but I was not amazed. The little girl through whose eyes the movie is portrayed, Quvenzhane Wallis, deserves an Oscar for sure and the idea of the movie is great, the plot is great, but the execution could have been made so much better.

"Lincoln". I had been looking forward to seeing that movie for ages, and was not disappointed. It was biographical, I don't think it will win the best picture, but I would be happy if it did. Set in 1965, president Lincoln just started his second term, he is trying to pass the 13th amendment, to end slavery and to end the Civil War. The movie is cleverly made and the cast is terrific. All of them. And I believe Daniel Day-Lewis should win the Oscar for actor in a leading role. Also, loved the quotes and thoughts in the movie.

"Zero Dark Thirty". I had been really looking forward to that as well, but was a bit disappointed. I wasn't disappointed in the movie. It's a film about the manhunt for Osama Bin-Laden after 9/11. It's like a documentary of the following decade but with Hollywood effects. The beginning was very promising and the last 40 minutes of the movie were gripping, other than that it was informative but I don't get the Oscar buzz. Editing could have been better and more intensity throughout the movie. At first I also thought of the movie having no proper characters, but then again this is not the point of the movie, the point was the search and the investigation. I enjoyed the movie but would have liked it much more if I hadn't had such high expectations.

"Django Unchained".  Watched it just because of the Oscars. I'm not a big fan of westerns or Tarantino. Not even close actually. But, I have to admit... I loved the movie.

Quoting: "Quentin Tarantino's 8th film "Django Unchained" is one hell of a movie. A brutal, bloody, terrifying, hilarious and awe-inspiring western disguised as a buddy movie that is so great that if John Wayne and Sergio Leone were alive now, they would've approve of this movie. It's designed to shock you, polarize you, test you and maybe even surprise you. But let me clear on this: If you are not a fan of bloody violence and the running length of 165 minutes, see a shorter movie. But if you love to see what Tarantino can do with movies like this, then you're in for a treat. "

You could play a drinking game, with how many times a word "nigger" is used. But the dialogue and the rawness make the movie. It's set 2 years before American Civil War, in the south, where slaves were not considered human beings. The movie may be too drastic but that is just Tarantino's style of making a point. Acting-wise Jamie Foxx plays solid, a little confusing at times, but he sure is entertaining. Christoph Waltz is charming and classy, but I truly loved DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson in the movie. Also, was nice to see Kerry Washington. 

Now, I have just "Argo" left of the best picture nominees. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibiza, Spain

 June 2023 Last time we were on a work-trip to Brussels, decided to take advantage of cheap Ryanair mid-Europe flights and flew to Ibiza for a long weekend. Had been wanting to check this party-hub out for some time. It's dreamy, gorgeous, vibrant, fun and quite expensive. So, in my opinion, a long weekend is exactly a right amount of time to be spent there!

Pinkpop - Megaland, Landgraaf, NL

  June 2023 How transport failed us completely, but the festival was absolutely amazing! Flixbus 2: us 0.

USA vol 1: Chicago, Michigan City

September 2023.