Skip to main content

Surfers Paradise and Brisbane


What should you do when you want to go out but you can't really afford it? Well, if you are a female in Surfers Paradise you should go to Sin City on tuesdays or thursdays? We did. Left all the money home, took only a passport and had a fun night. Ladies drink free all night. And not lame girly cocktails, but all basic spirits, wine and champagne. As we were a little more observant this time, they actually put a proper amount of alcohol into a drink and they serve Bundy rum!!!





Most of the time went to job searching, I don't even wanna think about how many CV-s we sent and if got an answer back, it was always a NO. Until one lovely morning, met Carly, went for a drive and explored her university: Griffith university. (These moments always make me miss going to uni.) 

Afterwards settled down for lunch at "Sushi Train" checked email and had around 4 job offers. Carly gave us some great karma!! Had a job interview on the phone with a spa-hotel near Toowoomba and got the job.




On friday morning we headed to Brisbane together. I sent Keiu off to Toowoomba, and stayed in Brisbane myself as I'm off to Sydney tomorrow. Today is officially the first day of june, so first day of winter and Brissie had +25 C, everyone says it has been exceptionally warm here for the last couple of weeks. I have been to Brissie 3 times now and never really loved this city but the area I'm staying is pretty sweet. I'm couchsurfing at a Scottish-australian guys place in a suburb of Sherwood. 16 minutes from CBD by train and it is a lovely neighbourhood with more-or-less affordable fresh fruit, little bakeries, organic stores and markets.



My host is a total sports fanatic, follows every possible kinda sport and can tell all the rules of any of them probably. I now know the differences between Australian two kind of rugby-s, got my memory refreshed on American football and Australian football (Brisbane had a home game today with Sydney) as caught up with a couple NBA basketball games. I'm actually pretty jealous because in 10 days he is off to BRAZIL!!! World Cup!!!! We watched a beautiful documentary about Brazil on friday evening.. One day I'll be there!!!

Apart from sports stumbled on a movie "Cleanskin" yesterday. About London bombings. An insightful film of terrorism and religion. Brutal, violent, but impressive and thought-provoking!

Cooked potato salad for dinner today to demonstrate some Estonian cuisine. Loved the stamps I found on the eggs!


I don't wanna sound too materialistic, but having my own room with a king size bed, wifi working on hypersonic speed, bathroom with hot water and a lovely kitchen with all the utensils is sooo good for a change! Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining as I'm loving the traveling-backpacking lifestyle, but, what a lovely vacation.


Visited art museums again. Got talking to an aspiring-artist-hippie-businessman and got so carried away in discussion that had to finish it in a nearby Starbucks. Was my first and probably last (as it's terribly expensive in Oz) but sure was lovely!






I was convinced it's for STATE OF ORIGIN, but it's more for generally supporting Brisbane's football teams. 





There was a Colour Run in Brissie today. I wiiiish, I'd known about this before!


The train was filled with colourful participants, all of them wearing a "colour run" plastic poncho,  to avoid the train and other passengers getting painted. Australia really thinks of these things. Makes me think of HOLI celebrations in NY couple years back when we wondered into the train all covered with everything and no-one really cared.


And then there was this guy doing yoga in the middle of the train.. With a mat! I almost took a photo of him, but he jumped up mid-pose and ran out of the train. Guess he was in so much inner peace that almost missed his stop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ibiza, Spain

 June 2023 Last time we were on a work-trip to Brussels, decided to take advantage of cheap Ryanair mid-Europe flights and flew to Ibiza for a long weekend. Had been wanting to check this party-hub out for some time. It's dreamy, gorgeous, vibrant, fun and quite expensive. So, in my opinion, a long weekend is exactly a right amount of time to be spent there!

Pinkpop - Megaland, Landgraaf, NL

  June 2023 How transport failed us completely, but the festival was absolutely amazing! Flixbus 2: us 0.

USA vol 1: Chicago, Michigan City

September 2023.